Dr. Steve Murphree, professor or biology and entomologist, has had a busy summer full of bug-related activities. Murphree’s recent activities include:
- Insect presentations at the Murfreesboro Bug Hunter’s Cub Scout Day Camp, the McKendree United Methodist Church Preschool and Montessori Centre.
- A presentation on Civil War medicine, insects and diseases to children enrolled in the School of the Soldier summer day camp and the Natural History summer day camp at the Historic Sam Davis Home and Plantation.
- at the Historic Sam Davis Home and Plantation
- A Tennessee Naturalist Program workshop at Cedars of Lebanon State Park titled Invertebrates: Pollinators, Predators, Pests and Parasites
- Assisting with the annual Insects of the Night program at the Warner Park Nature Center in Nashville.
Additionally, Murphree hosted his annual Beetles, Bugs and Butterflies summer day camps for rising 1st through 6th graders on Belmont’s campus all throughout the summer. Murphree said “I have provided events to hundreds of children throughout the years, and it has been a privilege to meet young people who are interested in insects and spiders.”