Belmont’s Doctorate of Physical Therapy Class of 2019 students recently completed and disseminated their research findings with a poster presentation in the lobby of McWhorter on November 6 and a formal platform presentation in Janet Ayers Academic Center on November 13.
Several student research groups had their research accepted for a platform presentation or poster presentation at a national level conference for physical therapists, Combined Sections Meeting (CSM), which will be held in Washington D.C. in January 2019.
Dr. Kathy Galloway, PT, DSc, ECS and her student research group will be presenting the following 2 platform presentations at CSM:
- Superficial to deep fibular sensory nerve communication in the foot: Samantha Cook, SPT, Royale Lopez, SPT, Colleen Manning, SPT, Jessie Mills, SPT, Ashley Thomas, SPT, Kathleen Galloway, PT, DSc, ECS
- Normal values for deep fibular nerve musculoskeletal ultrasound and deep fibular sensory nerve conduction: Samantha Cook, SPT, Royale Lopez, SPT, Colleen Manning, SPT, Jessie Mills, SPT, Ashley Thomas, SPT, Kathleen Galloway, PT, DSc, ECS
Dr. Kevin Robinson, PT, Dsc, OCS and his student research group will be presenting the following 2 poster presentations at CSM:
- The Use of Proximal Hip Strength and Kinematic Motion to Identify Dancers at Risk for Lower Extremity Injury: Eric Bengtson SPT, MA, ATC, Kristyn Harris SPT, Meredith Massengale SPT, Ross Gentry SPT, Kevin Robinson PT, DSc, OCS
- Investigation of an Eight-week Neuromuscular Training Intervention on Biomechanical Parameters of the Lower Quarter in Collegiate Pivoting Athletes: Craig Parker, PT, DPT, Kevin Robinson, PT, DSc, Tyler Hoek, SPT, Tiffany Bennett, SPT, Sheyenne Turk, SPT, Zach Petrosky, SPT, Pat Sells, DA
Dr. Christi Williams, DPT, OCS, Cert. MDT and her student research group had their research accepted for publication:
- An Animal-Assisted Intervention’s Influence on Graduate Students’ Stress and Anxiety Priot to an Examination in Open Access Library Journal: Williams C, Emond K, Maynord K, Simpkins J, Stumbo A, Terhaar T. Click here for access.
Research topics at the Belmont University Symposium included:
- Examination of Pediatric Balance Scale, 2nd Edition (PBS-II) Performance in Children with Down Syndrome: Student researchers Maria Drake SPT, Amy Marple SPT, Cassie Mosher SPT, Macey Thornburg SPT and faculty mentors Nancy Darr PT, DSc, NCS
- Accuracy of Heart Rate Monitoring in Apple and Garmin Watches: Student researchers Brittany Gooch SPT, CSCS, Mackenzie Jones SPT, Maura McAfee SPT , Kaylie Shingleton SPT and faculty mentor Suzanne Greenwalt PT, DPT, CCS, GCS
- The Effect of Direct Sensory Electrical Stimulation of the Ham-string Muscles on Hamstring Extensibility: Student researchers Nathan Dyer SPT, Elie Hsu SPT, Nichole Raaf SPT, Lauren Estes SPT, Courtney Vick SPT and faculty mentor Cathy Hinton PT, PhD
- Does using electromyography feedback improve physical therapy students’ dry needling accuracy when asked to dry needle specific muscles?: Student researchers Kendall Knisley SPT, Russell Cook SPT, Dakota Herren SPT, Michelle Klontz SPT, Spencer Petett SPT and faculty mentor John Halle PT, PhD, ECS
- Acute Effects of Blood Flow Restriction (BFR) on Physiological Variables During Low Intensity Treadmill Walking: Student researchers Justin Avila SPT, Chase Batty SPT, Clay Henson SPT, Lindsay Jackson SPT, Kara Mae Sheft SPT and faculty mentor Patrick Sells DA
- Investigation of an Eight-Week Neuromuscular Training Intervention on Biomechanical Parameters of the Lower Quarter in Collegiate Pivoting Athletes: Student researchers Tyler Hoek SPT, Tiffany Bennett SPT, Sheyenne Turk SPT, Zach Petrosky SPT and Faculty mentors Craig Parker PT, DPT, Kevin Robinson PT, DSc, OCS and Patrick Sells DA, John Halle PT, PhD, ECS
- Hip Rotational Range of Motion and Driving Distance in PGA Tour Golfers: Student researchers Clint Lester SPT, Jack Davis SPT, Shelby Smith SPT, Ryan Tapp SPT and faculty mentor Mike Voight PT, DHSc, SCS, OCS, ATC, CSCS, FAPTA