Belmont University will celebrate Earth Day with its second annual Sustainability Celebration April 11-25. Hosted by the University’s Sustainability Committee, this year’s events will provide an opportunity for the Belmont community to engage with the Conservation Covenant, the University’s commitment to honor God’s creation.
Launched in 2015, the Conservation Covenant is a charge for the University to honor the environment by preserving it for generations to come. This year’s Sustainability Week will include many events intentionally created to engage the campus community in dialogue surrounding creation.
This year’s events include:
- A engaging lecture by Dan Riskin, host of Animal Planet’s “Monsters Inside Me,” who will present “What the Maggot in my Scalp Taught Me about the Process of Science” on Thursday at 5 p.m. in the Janet Ayers Academic Center Room 2094. Riskin’s talk is the keynote for the annual Belmont Undergraduate Research Symposium (BURS).
- An Arbor Day Tree Planting Celebration and Campus Tree/Bird Walk on Wednesday, April 12 at 10 a.m. featuring Belmont VP of Finance & Operations Steve Lasley who will give a brief description of the chosen tree of showcase, the Ginko Tree (Ginkgo biloba)
- A Creek Clean-up on Saturday, April 13 hosted by Belmont’s student-run Eco Club
- A Plastic Bag Drive on Monday, April 15 sponsored by the Office of Residence Life
- The Belmont in Bloom presentation featuring Judy Fisher who will share Belmont’s dedication to Adelicia Acklen’s love for gardens, nature and conservancy on Monday, April 15 at 10 a.m. in the Massey Center Board Room 103
- A Sustainability Fair & Clothing Drive sponsored by SGA & the Biology Department featuring a variety of vendors and booths to learn more about community sustainability initiatives on Tuesday, April 16 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. on the South Lawn
- “Engineering Modern Solutions for the Environment” — a convocation featuring the Belmont Architecture and Robotics Club (BEAR)’s unveiling of a motion-activated bird feeder to be placed on the Biology/Environmental Science green roof on Wednesday, April 17 at 10 a.m. in the Janet Ayers Academic Center Room 3081
- “Earth Day Chapel” – a celebration Chapel featuring Belmont President Dr. Bob Fisher on Monday, April 22 at 10 a.m.
Additional events occurring both on campus and in the Nashville community can be found on Belmont’s Sustainability website.