There are an incredible number and variety of options for students interested in studying abroad following the spring semester, whether looking for a month-long May-mester journey or a longer summer trip excursion.
Trips are available through Belmont’s own Study Abroad office as well as through Belmont’s study abroad partner, the Cooperative Center for Study Abroad (CCSA). Students pay a flat program fee for the trip to cover travel and many expenses. However, in both programs, tuition for course credit is offered at one-third of its normal cost.
While some trips are focused around a single concentration (the Cambodia trip is exclusively for nursing students), many of the programs offer the opportunity to take Third Year Writing online over the course of the trip.
This year, students will be able to travel to a wide variety of places and take a number of unique and interesting courses. Those traveling to Switzerland have the option of taking a humanities course focused around the literature and thinking that was inspired under the gaze of Mont Blanc. Students can go to Hawaii for a month and study economic geography as they travel the islands. Fans of PBS TV show “Downton Abbey” even have the opportunity to travel to England and spend time in the actual Highclere Castle.
Students who are interested in studying abroad can find information sheets for the individual trips outside of the Study Abroad office located on the second floor of Fidelity Hall. Below is a list of trips planned for May and Summer 2013 sessions, though several have passed the application deadline or have reached capacity:
Belmont May-mester Study Abroad Trips (All of these trips are now closed):
- Africa: May 5 – 23
- Baltics and Beyond: May 8-31
- Brazil: May 6– 19
- Cambodia: May 5 – 25
- Hawaii: May 8 – 29
- Holy Land (Israel, Turkey, Greece): May 6 – 24
- Italy, May 8 – May 29
- Japan: May 9 – June 1
- Switzerland (Geneva): May 6 – May 27
- Turkey: May 7 -26
Belmont Summer Session Study Abroad Trips:
- Argentina: Mendoza, May 30 – June 15
- China: June 6 – 24
- France (Angers): June 30 –July 31 (This trip is now closed)
- Germany (Berlin): July 5 – August 3
- Spain (Valencia): June 27 – August 1
- Spain (Valladolid): May 25 – June 25 (This trip is now closed)
- England (London): May 13-28
- Hong Kong: May 11 – May 27
- Belize (Maymester): May 14 – 30
- Ireland Early: May 16 – 31
- Belize (Anthropology): June 4 – June 27
- West Africa: June 10 – July 3
- Ireland Late: July 8 – July 23
- England (London): July 11 – August 12
- Scotland: July 15 – August 5
*Final application deadlines vary for each trip; most of the CCSA applications are due on or before Feb 22. If you are interested in a Study Abroad trip that is currently listed as closed, please contact the Office of Study Abroad at 615-460-5500.