The Belmont University speech and debate team won several awards at a tournament held at Tennessee State University last week. It was the first tournament the team has attended. The debate team placed first in the tournament with 122 points, 63 points higher than the second place team. In the debate division Belmont students held four of the top eight positions in the quarter- final round of competition. Awards were as follows:
• Wesley Rainer (senior) and Tyler Kimbro (sophomore)
• Alexandra Haas (sophomore) and Haley Wilson (freshman)
• Eric Schoen (sophomore) and Bethany Miller (freshman)
Second place team:
• Mike White (freshman) and Andrew Bishop (freshman)
Tyler Kimbro was also ranked as the fifth place individual speaker at the tournament.
• Eric Schoen (sophomore) placed sixth in poetry interpretation.
• Nicole Bright (freshman) placed sixth in programmed oral interpretation.