In conjunction with the final Presidential Debate being hosted by Belmont University, middle school and high school students enrolled in Metro Nashville Public Schools were invited to enter the Presidential Debate Essay Contest.
First place winning essays were published in the Tennessean, and winners were also invited to provide a video of themselves reading their essays or excerpts to share publicly. Winners also had the opportunity for a behind-the-scenes tour of the Belmont Presidential Debate grounds (pictured here), in addition to receiving monetary prizes.
The winners are:
- 1st Place: Jamie Watson, Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet High School (Click here to read Watson’s winning essay published in The Tennessean)
- 2nd Place: Michayla George, Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet High School
- 3rd Place: Saida Bolduc, Martin Luther King Jr. Magnet School
- 1st Place: Trane Abernathy, Rose Park Middle School (Click here to read Abernathy’s winning essay published in The Tennessean)
- 2nd Place: Mary Li, Martin Luther King Jr. Magnet School
- 3rd Place: Atticus Mosser, West End Middle School
Each of the winning essays are available to read on Belmont’s Debate website.