Associate Professor of Economics in the Jack C. Massey College of Business Dr. Colin Cannonier recently interviewed the Prime Minister of St. Kitts and Nevis, Dr. The Honourable Timothy Harris, about the country’s success story in the COVID-19 pandemic. The interview for the Global Labor Organization, “Challenges to the Nation,” was on the occasion of the currently global challenges.
Below are some core messages of the interview:
- Due to sound fiscal prudence in the past, St. Kitts and Nevis was able to act quickly and decisively in stimulating the economy.
- As an educated society with a 97 percent literacy rate, St. Kitts and Nevis adapted well to the ‘new norm’ with respect to social and physical distancing, hand sanitizing and wearing masks in a joint effort to reduce the spread of the virus.
- As a result of the suspension of international and regional air and cruise travel, and precautionary border closures locally to contain and prevent the spread of the virus, economic activity within the local Tourism Sector contracted by some 35 percent in 2020.
- Agriculture, the (medical) Cannabis industry and I.T. will all play pivotal roles in the economic revival of St. Kitts and Nevis.
- The hotel, airline and cruise industries all play an important part in the economic revival of St. Kitts and Nevis.
- There is light at the end of the tunnel!
The full interview can be found on the Global Labor Organization (GLO) network where Cannonier serves as a Fellow and Country Lead for St. Kitts and Nevis. The GLO Country Lead is the national representative of the GLO, initiates GLO activities in the respective country and acts as the national anchor and contact person for the GLO Network.