The Belmont Vision won many awards at the annual Southeast Journalism Conference last week at Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas. The conference consisted of 45 schools from across the Southeast, 30 of which submitted 412 entries, according to 2017 Best of the South Report. Eleven members of the Belmont Vision staff attended the conference and took home nine awards in the Best of the South Competition for content posted on their website from November 2016 – November 2017.
Individual winners include:
- Zach Gilchriest, 4th place, College Journalist of the Year and 6th place, Best News Writer
- Bronte Lebo – 5th place, Best Feature Writer and 3rd place, News Writing
- Sara Scannel – 6th place, Best Public Service Journalism
- Melissa Kriz – 2nd place, Best Opinion-Editorial Writer and 2nd place, Copy Editing
- Paris Lawson – 8th place, Best Sports Writer
- Hunter Morgan – 4th place, Best Press Photographer
- Rebecca Arnold – 2nd place, Best Special Events Reporter
- Jason Saitta – 1st place, Radio News Reporting
- Caroline Cathey and Aggie Smith – tied 3rd, TV News Reporting
“Finding the In-Between,” a podcast run by the Belmont Vision that focuses on sharing the stories of the Belmont community, won 2nd place for Best College Audio News Program, Vision staffers won five awards for on-site competitions at the conference, and The Vision also won 4th place for Best Overall.