Students from Belmont’s College of Pharmacy recently attended the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Midyear Clinical Meeting this month, the largest gathering of pharmacists and longest running clinical meeting in the world. Former President George W. Bush and First Lady Laura Bush served as the event’s keynote speakers.
The conference updates pharmacists and pharmacy students on their knowledge, provides networking opportunities and offers information about the latest products and innovations. Additionally, the 35 students who attended were invited to a residency showcase to meet with representatives from hundreds of residency programs around the country.
Additionally, 13 posters submitted by Belmont students were accepted and presented at the meeting:
- “Antimicrobial stewardship: considerations for primary care,” Jennifer Collins, Erin Todd & Elisa Greene
- “Ciprofloxacin release rates from various novel pH neutral delivery vehicles,” Sarah Gobin Hardeman & Ken Reed
- “Clinical decision support for pediatric obesity: accuracy, completeness, and usability of the most popular drug information applications for healthcare practitioners,” Amy Schnees, Shelby Blalock, Laurin Reed, Genevieve Ness & Amber Watson
- “Evaluation of student performance on selected response versus constructed response examinations in a pathophysiology and therapeutics course,” Kristen Sherlin, Joe Huenecke & Kristy Wahaib
- “Evaluating the utilization of an ABCDE bundle protocol for mechanically ventilated patients in a community hospital,” Haley Willett, Uyen Leet, Margaret DeVier
- “Hydrogen peroxide contributes to cisplatin‐mediated toxicity in neuroblastoma,” Allison Sweat, Heang Lim & Kelley Kiningham
- “Impact of medications on hospital‐based falls with injury,” Candace Beam, Heang Lim, Kristy Wahaib
- “Implementation of updated palivizumab use guidelines to computerized physician order entry (CPOE) administration criteria at a childrens hospital,” Christina Coy & Susan Publow
- “Intensive interdisciplinary diabetes intervention in an underserved, multiethnic population,” Alexandria Ernst, Brian George, Bailey Bolton, Alan Graber & Elisa Greene
- “Perioperative blood glucose in orthopedic surgery patients,” Sarah Ayers, Erin Todd & Montgomery Williams
- “Retrospective analysis of vancomycin goal trough attainment and incidence of acute kidney injury in hospitalized patients with pharmacist managed vancomycin dosing,” Christopher Conkling & Montgomery Williams
- “Rise of the superbugs: what you need to know about antibiotic resistance,” Destin Lenz, Kelsie Graham, Montgomery Williams & Ashton Beggs
- “Student perceptions of interprofessionality experienced in an international missions Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE),” Emily Russell, Leela Kodali & Adam Pace